Animal Control Services

Animal Control

Animal Control Services for the City of Pembroke are contracted out to PRO-TEC 5 Inc. who can be contacted at 613-504-1550 or by email.  Animal Control Services enforce the Animal Control By-law 2021-75, which make owners responsible for their pet’s actions, helps return lost pets to their owners and ensures pets are a positive addition to the community.  Animal Control Officers patrol neighbourhoods, City parks and public spaces for stray animals and return lost pets to their owners.  Animal Control Officers are sworn By-law Enforcement Officers, giving them the ability to write tickets and lay charges that may require a pet owner to appear in court. 

Animal control services help ensure everyone’s safe, healthy and peaceful enjoyment of Pembroke’s neighbourhoods. 


Contact the City of Pembroke’s Animal Control Contractor (613-504-1550) for the following issues:

  • roaming cats or dogs
  • injured cats or dogs
  • lost pets
  • licensing
  • dog bites or dog attacks
  • noise complaints related to pets i.e. constant barking
  • wildlife on City property (i.e. roads, community centres, parks, etc.)
  • dead animal on the road
  • pet waste concerns
  • education of animal related by-laws and statutes

Contact the Ontario SPCA (613-635-7508) for the following issues:

  • pet shelter
  • lost pets

Hours of Service

The Animal Control Services regular hours are Monday to Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.  All non-emergency calls will be responded to within 12-24 hours of receipt of the call.  Emergency/urgent calls will be prioritized. 


Under By-law 2021-75, the City requires that all dogs and cats over the age of three (3) months be licensed .  The Pet License and Registration fees are as follows:

  • For all Spayed/Neutered Pets - $20.00
  • For all Unsterilized Pets - $30.00

The Pet License and registration expires on December 31st of each year and needs to be renewed annually prior to March 31st of each year. 

By keeping your pet’s licence current, you increase their chances of being reunited with you if they ever become lost.  Animal Control Officers have the ability to check your dog or cat licences and return them home should they become lost.  Be sure to keep your pet’s licence affixed to his/her collar. 

You can obtain a licence by vising City Hall, 1 Pembroke Street East, Pembroke 613-735-6821 ext. 1323 Monday to Friday 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.

Online Form is available under the Treasury section


The City of Pembroke does not offer a service to deal with or remove nuisance or injured wildlife (racoons, skunks, squirrels, etc.) on private property.  For these types of services, please contact a professional pest control company such as the following:

Please do not call the police as calling police about non-emergency wildlife issues can take them away from dealing with other important emergencies. 

The City of Pembroke’s Animal Control Contractor will address wildlife complaints within the City if the injured wildlife is located on City-owned property. To report nuisance or injured wildlife on City property, contact the Animal Control Services Contractor at 613-504-1550. 

Managing Urban Wildlife

Wildlife is a natural part of this community. Food and shelter are plentiful, and natural predators are limited, therefore wildlife will continue to live near us. If we learn to share the environment and reduce problems by getting rid of sources of food and shelter on our properties, animals will make their way to a more suitable home.  It is important to remember not to feed or handle wildlife and never transport or relocate wildlife. To learn more visit the following webpages:


If you encounter a bear in your neighbourhood and are concerned that it poses an immediate threat to your personal safety or exhibits threatening or aggressive behaviours, please call police at 9-1-1. In a non-emergency situation, call the Province’s Bear Wise reporting line at 1-866-514-2327. This line operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week, from April 1 to November 30

Animal Bites and Scratches

All animal bites and scratches involving humans must be reported to the Renfrew County and District Health Unit immediately. More information can be found at the Renfrew County and District Health Unit website or by calling 613-732-3629. 

Animal Shelter

The Renfrew County Branch of the Ontario Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Ontario (OSPCA) provides our community with animal shelter services.  All stray animals picked up by the City’s Animal Control Services Contractor are transported to the Ontario SPCA Renfrew County Animal Centre. They can be reached by calling 613-635-7508 or by email and are located at 115 Woodcrest Drive in Pembroke. Please call the Ontario SPCA Renfrew County Branch if you have lost an animal or wish to adopt an animal.

Lost Animals

Please contact the City’s Animal Control Services Contractor (613-504-1550) and the Ontario SPCA Renfrew County Animal Centre (613-635-7508) if you have lost an animal. Please check with your neighbours, as neighbours will often take in stray animals. Your neighbours may have seen your pet and point you in the right direction.

Found Pets

If you have found a stray pet in the City of Pembroke, call the City of Pembroke’s Animal Control Services Contractor at (613-504-1550). They will attempt to match the found animal with any reported lost animals. They will also transport confined stray domestic animals to the Ontario SPCA Renfrew County Animal Centre during regular operating hours. After hours, we ask you to keep the stray animal until the service re-opens. 

Resource Links