On February 8, 1878 , a motion was passed by the Council of the Town of Pembroke to hire a Town Constable. It was not until November 15, 1878 that James Devlin was hired at a salary of $400.00 per year. Constable Devlin lived on Cemetery St , now know as Miller Street , in Pembroke. Some of the duties of the Town Constable at this time, included the collection of taxes, and the maintenance of platforms (sidewalks) and the Pumping station. Constable Devlin also assumed the role of Truant Officer and Dog Catcher.
For six years between 1872 and 1878, the Town of Pembroke , and its surrounding area, was patrolled solely by two County Constables , one of whom was Daniel H. Duffy, who in 1881 became the Chief of Police for the town of Pembroke . In September 1925, D.J (Dan) Carnegie enlisted with the Pembroke Police force. Carnegie was promoted to Sergeant and later to Chief Constable in 1943. The entire Pembroke Police Force at that time consisted of nine men. Chief Carnegie maintained the position of Chief for 19 years before his retirement in 1962.
It was November 1, 1941 when Bert S. Dickie enlisted with the Pembroke Police Force. He left the force however, to serve his country with the Royal Canadian Air Force during World War II, returning to his duties June of 1946. Shortly after his return, Dickie was promoted to the position of Sergeant on March 1, 1947 and then again to the role of Inspector on February 1, 1954 . Bert Dickie served as Chief of Police for Pembroke for a period of 21 years, after which time retirement was well deserved.
Sergeant Robert Purvis became Chief of Police upon Chief Dickie's retirement and served until his own retirement June 28, 1991. At that time, Don Kidder took over the role of Chief and continued in this capacity until he retired April 30, 1999. Blair MacIsaac succeeded Chief Kidder and served as Chief of Police until his successor, Acting Chief David Hawkins took over the reins.
Chief David Hawkins was named Chief of Police on October 20, 2007 until his retirement in 2013. Since 1878, The Pembroke Police Force grew and matured into the Pembroke Police Service and dedicated itself to providing the best possible service it could to the community of Pembroke.
Due to increasing costs, the Police Services Board recommended to City Council that the Ontario Provinical Police be approached to provide a costing for poice services for the community. Council agreed with the recommendation and proceeded accordingly. After analyzing financial and operational implications, after gathering and considering input from local rate payers and after considerable soul searching, on March 20, 2012, City Council made the difficult decision to contract with the OPP to provide policng service to the community. The Pembroke Police Services Board fully supported this decision.
On July 6, 2013, the transition from Pembroke Police Service to OPP policing was completed. The Police Station remained at 169 William Street while a new building was being completed. The new modern, state of the art building, located at 77 International Drive, opened its doors on December 19, 2014.
May 4th, 201921st Annual Carefor Charity Auction
May 11th, 2019Spring Community Cleanup Day **PLEASE NOTE: THE COMMUNITY CLEANUP HAS BEEN POSTPONED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. Thank you to...LED ZEPAGAIN A Tribute to Led ZeppelinCELEBRATING 30 YEARS Most authentic representation of Led Zeppelin LED ZEPAGAIN A...PickleballGet involved with one of the fastest-growing, most entertaining racquet sports with pickleball...
May 25th, 2019Jim Sloan Memorial Ball Hockey TournamentThe City of Pembroke's Parks & Recreation department is proud to announce the first Jim...Unicorn Glitter PartyJoin us on Saturday, May 25th at 11:00am for our Unicorn Glitter Party Stories, Games, Crafts...Kibble & Bids "Raise the Woof" Comedy Night & Auction**TICKETS NOW AVAILABLE at our animal centre AND ONLINE at...
May 26th, 2019Benefit Concert Benefit Concert for the Pembroke Handi-Bus featuring two local musical groups: The Saxophonix and...