Fire Safety for Seniors is critical as they make up the largest high-risk group for injury and death by fire. Every year in Canada, home fires claim approximately 500 lives. More than one-third of people who die in fires are 60 years of age or older. Changes in an older person's sensory and physical functions can make it difficult for them to detect or escape a fire. Many fire-related deaths and injuries among seniors are preventable.
Some of the leading causes of fire resulting in injuries are:
The kitchen is one of the most dangerous rooms in the house. It contains many hazards that can cause burns and unintentional fires. Taking steps to protect yourself from heating and cooking appliances can prevent damaging fires, injuries and loss of life.
Use a temperature-controlled deep fat fryer for frying. If you are using a pot, keep a proper fitting lid nearby. If a grease fire starts, carefully cover the pan with the lid to smother the flames. Never leave frying food or cooking oil unattended on a hot stove. Keep combustible materials such as paper, cardboard and plastics away from the stove. Wear short or tight fitting sleeves when cooking. Loose sleeves can catch fire over the hot stove. Do not store things over or behind the stove. People burn themselves reaching over the stove. Avoid cooking when sleepy or drowsy from medication or alcohol. Turn pot handles in to prevent children from pulling them down. Do not use defective electric appliances; have them checked and serviced.
Sadly many fire deaths are caused by carelessness with smoking materials. Dozing off with a lighted cigarette or pipe can cause a serious fire, so take care in the armchair, and make it a rule: Never smoke in bed especially if you are tired or have been drinking alcohol, or you are on medication that may make you drowsy.
If you smoke in bed you may never wake up to see the next day. Innocent members of your family will also be at risk as well as yourself.
Never empty ashtrays into the bin unless you are sure that they are fully extinguished.
Always check the ashtrays around the house especially if several members of your family smoke or you have had visitors who smoke.
Never smoke near flammable liquids around your home.
Never leave matches and lighters around for young children to find as many accidental fires are caused by children playing with these.
Safety Tips for Emergency Lighting and Heating During Power Failures In recent years very few people have frozen to death in their homes. However, many people have suffered from carbon monoxide poisoning, smoke inhalation or burns incurred through the inappropriate use of emergency devices. When your power is out, you may be introducing potential hazards to your home so you must take extra precautions to make sure that everyone stays safe.
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a poisonous gas that is odourless, colourless, tasteless and non-irritating. When CO is breathed into the body in large amounts, it crowds out life-sustaining oxygen from red blood cells and prevents the body from absorbing oxygen.
September 4th, 2019Breathe & Be YogaBreathe & Be Yoga with Kimberly & Paul Mayfield is back in September on Wednesday...
September 5th, 2019Downtown Pembroke Patio PartyJoin us September 5th for an evening of music, food and shopping in beautiful Downtown Pembroke....
September 8th, 2019Roast Beef DinnerRoast Beef Dinner on Sunday, September 8th from 4 pm to 6 pm at Holy Trinity Anglican Church (68...
September 9th, 2019Choir Registration & Practices BeginLike to Sing? Join Our Choir! The Pembroke Community Choir is getting ready to practice...
September 11th, 2019Breathe & Be YogaBreathe & Be Yoga with Kimberly & Paul Mayfield is back in September on Wednesday...
September 14th, 2019Neon Night 2nd Annual Family Fun RunNeon Night is a 2 km and 5 km non-competitive fun run/walk for all ages and abilities, that takes...
September 18th, 2019Breathe & Be YogaBreathe & Be Yoga with Kimberly & Paul Mayfield is back in September on Wednesday...
September 20th, 2019Wesley United Church Dance & Dessert PartyEnjoy an evening of dancing to music by of Landry and Madill at Wesley United Church, Pembroke, 275...
September 22nd, 20192019 Pembroke & Renfrew Kidney Walk Each year The Kidney Foundation of Canada hosts the Kidney Walk to raise...
September 23rd, 2019Sewing ClubSewing Club returns this September 16th to October 28th on Monday nights at 6:00 pm. DIY Pet Beds...
September 26th, 2019Sky Rocket Your SalarySky Rocket Your Salary Thursday September 26 2019 at 6:30-7:30 pm Presented by career...
September 29th, 20192nd Annual Pumpkin Spice & everything Nice Craft & Vendor Show2nd Annual Pumpkin Spice & Everything Nice Fall Craft & Vendor Show Sunday, Sept 29th,...
September 30th, 2019Sewing ClubSewing Club returns this September 16th to October 28th on Monday nights at 6:00 pm. DIY Pet Beds...