The City of Pembroke and surrounding area has a central market population of approximately 74,000 within a 40km/25 mi. radius. The retail sector of the local economy has grown tremendously, as Pembroke’s position as the largest service centre between Ottawa and North Bay has been solidly established.
As well as a marked increase in the number of national franchise retailers choosing to locate in Pembroke, several “big box” retailers have also located here, increasing the size of the retail cluster, and drawing even more shoppers from outside of the immediate area on a regular basis.
Retail in the Heart of the Ottawa Valley
- Several major tourist attractions located within 50 miles, including Algonquin Park, White Water Rafting, National Capital Region, Bonnechere Park, Bonnechere Caves, and a growing cluster of artists, artisans and specialty shops.
- Great location along Trans Canada Highway 17, and provincial highways #41, #60, and #148. Metro Ottawa with a population of 1.7 million is just an hour and a half drive east of Pembroke, while North Bay is 2 hours west.
- Algonquin College in the Ottawa Valley's new waterfront campus is located in Pembroke, and offers a diverse range of both full and part time courses to over 1,000 students.
- Numerous fairs, events, art shows, and sporting tournaments are held throughout the year, drawing thousands of visitors to the area.
- Several downtown buildings are of historic significance, and particularly suitable for retail enterprises.The downtown has undergone renewal and revitalization in recent years, and several new and unique shops and locally owned restaurants attract daily shoppers and diners.
- The recently developed Waterfront Park adjacent to downtown draws hundreds of families during the summer months with free entertainment at the amphitheatre, children’s playground, and walking trails.
- Highway signage is available along Highway 17, while the City provides additional promotional opportunities through its social media outlets. The City of Pembroke’s Department of Economic Development works closely with every new business to ensure that it enjoys a smooth transition into the community.
- Learn more on our YouTube channel!
- If you have questions about starting a retail business in Pembroke please contact our Economic Development Officer at email@example.com